This Baileys Irish Coffee Recipe Will Warm The Cockles Of Your Heart
IRISH COFFEE can take many different forms but something always stays the same: it’s warm, boozy and uncommonly good.
This particular twist on the Emerald Isle favourite combines the classic recipe with another Irish favourite.
Baileys has a history to rival that of the original Irish coffee.
More importantly, it’s unmistakably Irish, making this recipe something approaching gospel.
A riff on the classic formula, this recipe may require a couple of additional purchases but, as they say, the proof is in the pudding.
Or should that be the Irish coffee? Try this Baileys-infused version – which comes from the Irish cream giants themselves – and decide for yourself.
WARNING: There’s lots of alcohol in this one, so go steady.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 50 ml Baileys Original Irish Cream Liqueur
- 110 ml Coffee
- A teaspoon of chocolate shavings
- Whipped cream
Tips For Making Baileys Irish Coffee
- The coffee is the main show in this recipe, so be sure to use quality fresh strong brewed coffee or espresso that you will enjoy. If you dont like how the coffee is brewed, you wont like the cocktail.
- Irish coffee is a hot drink, it should be served in a warm mug. Heat the mug by filling it with hot water while you get the coffee or espresso ready.;;
- ;If you make your own whipped cream and it comes out too stiff, pour a little liquid cream into it and fold gently;
- Try topping the Baileys Irish coffee with fresh cinnamon or nutmeg. The warm spice will melt into the cream, and the coffee and adds a whole other level of complexity to the flavor profile.
- For an extra flavor boost, top the whipped cream with shaved chocolate.
Best Coffee For Baileys And Coffee
You can use your favorite coffee bean and method for this Baileys coffee: anything goes! But it will taste different depending on your method. Heres what wed recommend:
- Dark roast coffee:;This is most traditional flavor-wise, and will tastes more straightforward with a bitter finish. Make it up in your standard coffee pot.
- Medium roast coffee:;Using medium roast coffee makes a much lighter drink: which we enjoyed! We made medium roast with our standard pour-over method: the;Chemex coffee maker.
- Try Aeropress for a single cup:;If you want to make one cup at once, the Aeropress;is an inexpensive and slick method.
- Or, go decaf:;Drinking Baileys coffee as an after dinner drink? You may want to opt for decaf: its just as good.
Read Also: Where To Buy Kaffree Roma Coffee
Where Does Irish Coffee Come From
Irish coffee was invented in 1943 by Joe Sheridan, a chef and barman at an airbase in Limerick, Ireland. It was a cold winter night, and a transatlantic flight had been grounded due to bad weather. Sheridan wanted to warm up the chilled passengers, so he added Irish whiskey and cream to hot coffee.
A few years later, a travel writer introduced this delicious beverage to the United States, and the rest is history. But dont worry, you dont need to be a professional to whip up a great version of this unique drink.
More Festive St Patricks Day Recipes
Prep Time: Total Time:
Rich and creamy Bailey’s Coffee combines brewed coffee with Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur and whipped cream for a super comforting brunch cocktail or night cap.
- 8 ounces hot brewed coffee
- 2 ounces Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur
- 2 teaspoons sweetener
- Dollop of whipped cream, store bought or homemade
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Read Also: Does Diet Root Beer Have Caffeine
How To Make Homemade Whipped Cream
Canned whipped cream is fine in a pinch, but nothing compares to homemade whipped cream, and its really easy to make!
- Add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream to the bowl of a stand mixer. If desired, add 2-3 Tablespoons of powdered sugar.
- Beat on high speed with the whisk attachment until the cream is thick and billowy. You can stop when its soft set or continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
Baileys Irish Cream Ingredients & Substitution Suggestions
Heres what youll need to make this recipe:;
- Whiskey I used Jameson Irish whiskey, feel free to use your favorite brand.;A lot of my readers used different liquors and loved it. Check Readers Tips and Suggestions down below for some ideas.
- Heavy cream or half & half. Half cup of whole milk and half cup of heavy whipping cream will work as well. Dont use only milk or your drink wont be creamy enough.;
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Chocolate syrup or chocolate topping .
- Pure vanilla extract or another extract, like almond , peppermint, and orange. What about some cinnamon or pumpkin spices? 🙂
- Instant coffee granules to kick up the coffee flavor, choose an instant espresso.;
Recommended Reading: Is There Caffeine In Snapple
Non Alcoholic Irish Cream Recipe
This Baileys Irish Cream Non Alcoholic Irish Coffee Creamer is fairly simple to make. You can make a large batch and store it in the refrigerator to enjoy yourself or make it for an Irish coffee get together with friends. You can treat yourself any time youre in the mood for an indulgent coffee treat. I like to add whipped cream and a tiny bit of chocolate syrup to the top of my coffee just to bring this to a seriously over the top creation. You can certainly skip the added whipped cream and chocolate if you want to.
So, this is not a sweet creamer. You will need to add sugar to your coffee if youre used to the ones in the store. This creamer is nowhere near as sweet. But, it does have a delicious non alcoholic Irish cream taste.
Im going to go soak in a hot bubble bath. Im sore from shoveling. And, Im taking my coffee with me. I highly recommend you make yourself one the next time youre craving a healthier version of Baileys non alcoholic Irish cream.
Im the first person to admit that I dont function without coffee. I love the convenience of my Keurig but I hate the waste of traditional k-cups and the mess of reusable filters.
At Intelligent Blends, you can get eco-friendly recyclable pods! Use my referral link and save 5% on your first order! So, dont forget to try it with this non alcoholic Irish cream recipe because its delicious!
- Reuben Sandwich from How Was Your Day?
What To Serve With Irish Coffee
If youre looking for a particular dish that would work perfectly either with the Irish coffee or before it if you want to have the coffee after eating. My Irish Stew Pie would be an excellent option. Especially when were talking St Patricks Day.
Thank you so much for reading through my post, I am so grateful for each and every one of you. If you like this recipe and would like to be updated every time a new recipe is uploaded, then feel free to subscribe. Youll also receive a free e-book featuring 10 recipes.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Ground Coffee Brand
In This Recipe Book You Will Find Drinks Desserts Sides Soups And Entrees All Using Irish Cream To Make The Tastiest Things
Baileys irish cream drink recipe book. Mix well, put in a bottle, and place in the fridge. Pour one part kahlúa as a base. Add your freshly brewed coffee and stir.
For the full recipe for easy baileys cocktail, scroll to the bottom of this post. Using the back of a spoon, layer the baileys on top of the kahlúa. Top off with fresh whipped cream.
To make your own baileys, simply mix heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, your favorite irish whiskey, chocolate syrup, strong coffee, and vanilla extract together. Carefully light the top of the drink on fire and let it burn for at least ten seconds. Measure out the baileys and whiskey into the glass.
Brew coffee in your usual method. From the basic irish cream and frangelico mix to those with a little extra whiskey and even a coffee cocktail, there’s a nutty irishman for everyone. In a blender, combine the other ingredients.
Add the vanilla, the melted chocolate, and the coffee extract. Or for an extra creamy, decadent treat, try using heavy cream or half and half. The alcohol is cooked out of this cake, leaving behind.
How to make easy baileys drink: Mix baileys irish cream and milk. Any of these options are delicious in this easy baileys cocktail.
Then layer the 151 proof rum on top of the baileys. Optionally top off with chocolate, a light dash of shaved nutmeg or cinnamon. This cake is rich, creamy, soft, and perfect for friends and family.
Patterson Pumpkin Brewing, Swan song, Songs
Variations On Irish Coffee
- Traditional Irish Coffee: Add the brown sugar to the brewed coffee, but substitute 2 ounces Jameson whiskey for the Baileys. Top with whipped cream.
- Iced Baileys Coffee: Stir the sugar into the hot brewed coffee, then pour over ice before stirring in the Baileys. Cold brew coffee is also perfect for this.
- Irish Mocha Latte: Combine 6 ounces strong brewed coffee + sugar + 1.5 ounces bittersweet chocolate + 1/4 cup steamed and frothed milk + 1/4 cup Baileys Irish Cream.
You May Like: Where Can I Buy Senseo Coffee Pods
Can I Make My Own Whipped Cream
Its not Irish coffee without the cream.; While you can certainly use store-bought, theres nothing better than homemade whipped cream! Its super easy to make.
How to Make Homemade whipped cream:;
Add one tablespoon of sugar to a cold mixing bowl. Then add one cup of heavy whipping cream and whip with an electric mixer on high until the cream thickens and forms peaks.;
NOTE: The original Irish Coffee Recipe calls for lightly whipped cream, but if you want to pile the cream high, you should whip to stiff peaks.
Easy Baileys Irish Coffee Recipe
An amazing 5 minute treat that is amped up with Baileys liqueur. This is one of the best coffee drinks youll ever have, just a few ingredients that work so well together. This baileys Irish coffee recipe is also wonderful to serve on St Patricks Day!
This was definitely a new experience for me, an experience that I loved though. For those who are interested in the origin of Irish coffee, it was created in 1943 by Joe Sheridan at Foynes Port which is close to Limerick in Ireland.
It really is just a cup of coffee with a few other wonderful ingredients added to it. Which not only makes this a simple recipe, it also makes this a recipe that is so easy to personalise.
So, for example, if you wanted an Irish coffee that isnt too heavy, you could serve it without the cream and just add a bit of milk instead. Or if you wanted to make it extra heavy, you could serve ice-cream instead of cream. So go nuts!
Don’t Miss: How Much Caffeine In Nespresso Voltesso
Tips For Making This Irish Coffee
- THE MUGS Fill your mugs with hot water first to pre-warm the mugs, which will help keep the drink hot a little longer. ;From time to time, hot liquid being poured into a glass mug can cause it to crack. ;Filling it with warm/hot water and letting it sit will help prevent that. ;Odds are, you wont have an issue, as this happens more with older and thinner glass mugs, but better safe than sorry!
- USE GOOD COFFEE Use strong coffee that you like! ;It seems obvious, but you definitely want to use a brand of coffee that you truly enjoy. ;This isnt the time for that bargain instant coffee from the back of your cabinet trust me.
- THE WHIPPED CREAM If you dont have the time or energy to make your own whipped cream, classic whipped cream from a can works well too .
- TOPPING I topped my drinks here with some grated chocolate, but thats 100% optional.
WHAT KIND OF WHISKEY IS BEST FOR AN IRISH COFFEE
My personal favorite is the classic, Jamesons. ;Its readily available at any liquor store, and is truly the classic Irish whiskey. ;Other alternatives would be Teeling or Bushmills Black Bush.
Todays Irish Coffee With Baileys And Kahlua Recipe Is A Traditional Irish Hot Beverage
Ohhhh kay, I added the Kahlua because why not?! Im thinking the more-coffee flavor there is the more-better it is!
While the most common everyday beverage in Ireland is tea and popular alcoholic beverages include whiskey, beer, and ale. Coffee mixed with whiskey and whipped cream is known throughout the world as Irish coffee.
In my recent European travels that included a few days in Dublin, Ireland I made sure to stop and enjoy an Irish Coffee! This is a photo of the Irish Coffee I enjoyed while waiting for my departing flight in the Dublin, Ireland airport. . .
You May Like: What Travel Mug Keeps Coffee Hot The Longest
Start The Day Off Cozy With Baileys Coffee
This Baileys Irish Cream Coffee is the equivalent of a warm blanket on a cold winter morning. If you want to start your day off with all the cozy vibes, this is where its at.
This is the kind of drink youll want to linger over, letting the warmth of the mug sink into your hands and the foamy whipped cream coat the top of your lips.
Nothing is sexier than a whipped cream mustache. -An Irishman somewhere, probably.
While Baileys and coffee is an obvious choice for a St. Patricks Day celebration, its also the perfect way to warm up any winter day. Pair it with Toasted Coconut Shortbread or Canestrelli Cookies for a delightful breakfast or mid afternoon snack.
This also makes a lovely night cap, though the more sensitive among us will have to sub decaf coffee if we dont wish to be awake until 3 AM.
Any way you drink it, I think youre going to love this Baileys Coffee!
Baileys Irish Cream Non Alcoholic Irish Coffee Creamer
Did you know there is no actual *cream* in most of those at all? While I dont use coffee creamer on a daily basis, I do love splurging on flavored coffee drinks during the holidays.
Today, on the way to take my son to work, I got stuck in a snow bank in the driveway. If it snows one more time, Im going to give up. Despite lots of pushing and shoveling, the car remained stuck so I had to get my neighbor to help and then had him plow out the driveway.
Once I finally got out, I headed to the store for the ingredients to make this. I totally deserve to be pampered today whether its St. Patricks Day or not.
Recommended Reading: Does Caffeine Cause Overactive Bladder
Special Equipment For This Recipe
- Irish Coffee Mugs the classic glass mug, in a nice 4 pc set. ;I use these for hot chocolate too!
- Strong coffee this is the brand we love!
Having an Irish St. Patricks Day feast? ;This is the perfect drink to serve afterwards!!
Here are some other recipes that would be perfect for St. Patricks Day:
Follow Along On Social Media
If youre looking for even more inspiration check out the fun little group I created on;Facebook, Id love for you to join in! Its a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, home tips, creative ideas and ask questions and see whats new with TidyMom! If youd like to check it out, you can request to join;HERE.
Be sure to;;and tag #tidymom so I can see all the wonderful TidyMom recipes YOU make and tips YOU use!
Recommended Reading: What’s The Best Coffee At Starbucks
Variations Of Irish Coffee
Ever since the original Irish coffee recipe gained popularity different variations have popped up to add diversity to this delicious coffee cocktail. I personally love the baileys Irish coffee version, but if you want to switch things up a bit, be sure to try out a few of these other Irish coffee versions.;
Original Irish Coffee Recipe Fresh brewed strong coffee, brown sugar, and a jigger of good Irish whiskey. Top with a collar of lightly whipped cream by gently pouring over the back of a spoon.
Baileys Irish Coffee Recipe This version uses Baileys Irish Cream instead of whiskey and is sweeter with a fuller body than the original.
Buena Vista Irish Coffee Recipe ; Replace the brown sugar with two sugar cubes and top with lightly whipped cream.
Kahlua Recipe Add Kahlua instead of Baileys, hot coffee, and Irish Whiskey.
Irish Cream Coffee Recipe Half Irish whiskey and half Baileys. Topped with a Maraschino cherry hat.
Irish Coffee With Baileys And Kahlua Recipe Is A Must
One more thing before you go
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor itd really support us! Its easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends.;
Our hearts sing when you do.
Read Also: Can You Drink Coffee With Kidney Disease