Nuova Simonelli Oscar Ii
For smaller coffee shops, businesses, or even home use, the Nuova Simonelli Oscar II is a superb choice.
Its available in a direct-connect option for businesses that serve more drinks, or a pour-over option for those at home who may not have a water line to hook it up to.
Its programmable dosing makes it so that even the newest novices can make a great shot of espresso.
- Programmable Dosing Dosing buttons that are programmable allow the craft of making drinks to be reachable for users of all skill levels.
- Heat Exchange Boiler Easily brew and steam at the same time with a boiler thats built with a separate internal compartment and copper tube that brings water to the group heads.
- Push Pull Steam Froth milk with a gentle push of a switch, saving your wrists from strain.
- Reverse Mirror With the ability to watch your espresso from all sides as its extracted, you can fix any errors immediately.
- Articulating Steam Arm Enjoy the flexibility to froth milk however makes you most comfortable, with a steam wand that moves in any direction you need.
Do you have a lot of employee turnover or need your employees to multi-task?
Then the Nuova Simonelli Talento might fit the bill for you.
Final Thoughts On The Mastrena Espresso Machine
If you have read all of the way to the end of this article, it should now be abundantly clear to you why the Mastrena espresso machine is both fantastic and fantastically difficult to get hold of, even if you have the thousands of dollars required.
The good news about this is that the Mastrena espresso machine is as commercial coffee maker, with capacities and functions that most at-home baristas and coffee enthusiasts really do not need. If we are perfectly honest with ourselves, how many of us really need to be able to brew upwards of 250 shots of espresso per minute? No matter how keen your need for caffeine, a Mastrena coffee maker is probably not necessary.
Luckily, there are many great alternatives and we have covered several of them in this article. It is very possible for you to buy a barista quality espresso machine, for a fraction of what a Mastrena II would cost you, if you were hypothetically ale to buy one.
Saeco Xelsis Sm7684/04 Super Automatic Espresso Machine
The Saeco Xelsis SM7684/04 espresso machine is a fully automated, double-head espresso machine. It comes pre-programmed to make 15 drinks and stores 6 customizable user profiles. The machine has a computerized display, and it is neat and smart looking all the way around.
A new unit can be obtained for under $2,000.
Ease of Use
|The Saeco Xelsis is fully computerized with its clear color display and touchscreen selection interface. The main activities for users to keep on top of are filling the bean hopper, filling the water reservoir and frothing the milk. We got consistent, tasty results with just the touch of a button.|
|The features of the Saeco Xelsis machine are mostly on a par with the most useful features of the Mastrena. Xelsis relies on automation to pull consistent shots and offer some customizable options. For users who are looking for a set it and forget it approach to in-home espresso, this machine is perfect. It sets up the same drink reliably, time after time. The built-in bean grinder is good for 20,000 cycles and features ceramic burrs. The Saeco Xelsis features automatic cleaning of the milk system as well as a patented water filter system good for 5,000 cups. The Xelsis loses a star for lack of customizability.|
- Limited customizability
Recommended Reading: How To Import Coffee To Usa
History Of Thermoplan Ag
Thermoplan is an espresso company that manufactures super-automatic espresso machines at the shores of Lucerne.
Its based in a small village called Weggis in Swiss. Weggis has a population of 4000+people only!
It was founded by Domenic Steiner and Esther and used exclusive swiss products to create Thermoplan AGs machinery.
Thermoplan AGs history runs back to 1974. It started to be recognized as a leader in 1995 and was finally recognized by Starbucks in 1999.
At present date, its internationally famous for producing quality commercial espresso machines that are able to brew hundreds of shots a day.
Although Thermoplan AG sticks to the contract made with Starbucks, you can still purchase commercial espresso machines that have been turned down/replaced by Starbucks for a newer Mastrena model. Mind you these previous models arent cheap either.
Expensive Features Mastrena Offers:
- Its a super-automatic bean-to-cup espresso machine. The machine is equipped with technology that allows it to grind, brew, and steam milk fast for back-to-back customers. Matrena is 28% faster than other commercial devices.
- Mastrena has a memory and strength controller that controls the grind, dose, tamp, brew temp, and volume.
- Its built so baristas must perform the bare minimum to brew perfect shots.
- It can brew 240+ espresso shots in an hour.
- Computerized memory
- Its highly programmable.
- Extreme internal technology to allow back-to-back shots and temperature stability.
- Its expensive because its exclusive and rare. Thermoplan AG only produces Mastrena for Starbucks you can imagine the market value of their entire purchase.
Also Check: How Much Caffeine Is In V8 Energy Drinks
Why Are Mastrena High
Mastrena and other espresso goods produced by Thermoplan AG are all high-performance commercial products built to serve commercial services, including fast brewing, espresso/coffee shots back to back, giant bean hopper, and commercial heat-up system, automatic steaming, brewing, and touch-screen panel.
Mastrena is a dream machine for everyone who enjoys and explores the variety of espresso shots. The black and white three can produce 240 espresso shots per hour you can only imagine how much Mastrena will be able to brew on a busy street with a Starbucks.
Mastrena outperforms even the best residential machines.
For example, the Breville/Sage series of espresso machines are known to be the most efficient home-barista espresso machines.
The Breville high-end super-automatic espresso machine can cost you up to $3000. Mastrena is 100 times more efficient, consistent, and faster than a Breville.
Disclaimer/ I own a Breville Oracle and know there isnt a better espresso mac home for your house, so I dont make these claims lightly.
The comparison is to acknowledge why Mastrena espresso machines are so damn expensive reasonably.
Their price tag differs because Mastrena is a commercial brewing machine that Starbucks owns exclusively, and Breville is a domestic machine built to meet home demands.
Why Is A Mastrena Espresso Machine So Expensive
Mastrenas are industrial machines engineered to handle a massive amount of espresso grounds as quickly as possible while still maintaining beverage quality. For most of us, thats not something we have to worry about. For a company like Starbucks that cranks out Frappuccinos with java chips almost non-stop, it is essential to their brand, and so they pay these exorbitant sums. Being the global coffee-making giant that they are, they can afford it.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Remove Coffee Stains From Cups
What Is A Mastrena Espresso Machine
A Mastrena espresso machine is a Swiss-made industrial espresso machine. Current models have been designed especially for Starbucks locations, and they can handle the high output demands of the worlds busiest coffee houses. Each maker is designed to pull extremely consistent shots, pull after pull, hour after hour. It is equipped with many features that are geared specifically to commercial applications. Mastrena machines also carry price tags reflecting that level of precision engineering.
Mueller Premium Espresso Coffee Maker With Milk Frother Coffee Grinder 15 Bar Stainless Steel Standard And Bottomless Portafilter Multiple Filters Temp Control Complete Barista Kit
- CONICAL BURR GRINDER Adjust the grind settings when you select from fine to coarse . Create uniform ground coffee in single or double batches. INTEGRATED STEAMER Includes a built-in steam valve to froth your own milk. Ready for your latte?
- COMPLETE BARISTA KIT Includes everything you need to create a barista experience in your home or office. Just add beans and grind away, then brew a café-quality classic espresso, americano, cappuccino, and more. With 15 bars of pressure and a nice crema.
- VERSATILE WITH DUAL BREW Grind and Brew! Grind your coffee beans, then brew single or double shot espresso in the same machine. Use the portafilter or bottomless portafilter to brew it your way. You can even adjust the temperature. Its also easy-to-clean.
- EASY & INTUITIVE CONTROLS Level up your coffee making. Quickly dispenses coffee you extract from fresh ground coffee beans. Use the knob selector to cycle through your options. Make yourself a barista-style brew in the comfort of your home, hotel, or office.
Recommended Reading: Can Coffee Cause Anxiety Attacks
Why Are Espresso Machines So Expensive
Espresso machines must be able to handle the heat and have multiple features, like a frothing device, a steam wand, a bean hopper You need high-grade material to be durable and last a long time. The different parts are high grade and this is the price higher. However, you can buy quality for the right price. Cheaper coffee machines use cheaper and mostly more inferior materials.
Check Out Other Articles On Coffeebratcom
- Commercial Descaling Product Universal Descaling Solution
Step by step cleaning instructions
2. Loosen the screw on the brew head and remove the screen, easily done with a screwdriver
3. You will need two cups place one under the brew head and another under the steam wand
4. Brew one cup of cleaning solution through the brew head and one cup through the steam wand. Follow your machines instructions
5. Clean all removable parts by soaking them with dish soap and rinsing thoroughly before placing them back into the machine
6. Fill the water reservoir and brew 3 4 cups, alternating between the brew head and steam wand or until filtered water is odorless
7. Allow the machine to cool down
Read Also: Can You Buy Pure Caffeine
Starbucks Deal With Thermoplan Ag
Thermoplan AG entered into their present deal with Starbucks in 2008. While they may be a little company nestled in a tiny part of Switzerland, theres no denying that these machines are big business for them. The company raked in $130 million in 2013 alone from sales of these machines to Starbucks.
Thermoplan AG manufactures machines that distribute coffee to countless millions around the world, but they are actually a relatively small company that employs around 230 people. The town in Switzerland where they are located, Weggis, is also small. Its home to just a few thousand people.
Mastrena Superautomatic Espresso Machine Cost
Fortunately , most people dont want to spend multiple thousands of pounds on a coffee machine, which is probably a conservative estimate for a so called Starbucks coffee machine. To get a great machine, as youll see in our bean to cup coffee machine reviews, youll usually be spending around £500, a fraction of the cost of the Mastrena. So, do you get what you pay for? Well, to a point.
Also Check: How To Make Home Coffee Taste Like Starbucks
Build And Espresso Quality
Espresso quality is maybe the most important factor when buying an espresso machine. After all, espresso is the reason youre buying it.
To make sure your espresso machine will produce a flavorful espresso, you should check the build quality, such as the internal parts. Whats the heating system? Is it a single or a double boiler machine? For example, this will determine if you can brew and steam simultaneously, or youll have to wait for the machine to switch to steaming temperature after brewing.
Are you fine with plastic, or do you need stainless steel? Think about where the machine will be used and how many people will be using it. The more users, the higher chances of scratches or of breaking the plastic parts.
Then, is there a removable brew group? This can help you better clean the machine. You can get rid of all the coffee beans residue and only brew espresso with fresh beans.
Overall, its hard to know and understand all the espresso machine specs, so you should check out other user reviews or talk with a salesperson before deciding.
Which Espresso Machine Does Starbucks Use
Starbucks, the best-known coffee chain worldwide shift to use automatic coffee machines. However, they still have their baristas to grind the coffee beans, tamp and extract through a touch of a button to guarantee a perfect espresso.
Way back in the 1900s, Starbucks used standard espresso machines like La Marzocco Linea machines. These are the standard espresso machines with portafilters that require a skilled barista to operate. As the company grew from small businesses to large multinationals, they switched from standard to super-automatic ones.
Starbucks sells unique tasting coffees wherein there are a lot of factors involved like the coffee being used. The company has over 20 roasts of varying strength ranging from the Blonde roast , medium roast, ideal for daily drinking and the dark roast which is perfect for those who want to have a kick on their coffee. The other consideration for brewing a great coffee is the equipment being used. Starbucks has always been on the top when it comes to a great tasting coffee thus, they are using high-quality coffee machines.
You May Like: Philips 5400 Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
Can You Buy One Of The Starbucks Espresso Machines
Still want to own your own Thermoplan Mastrena? Happy to shell out the amount of $20,000 to have your own personal coffee machine Starbucks in your kitchen?
Official dealer Channels
Well get straight to it: You cant buy a Starbucks espresso machineat least not directly, easily and legitimately. Theyre made in Switzerland exclusively for Starbucks.
The company co-developed them and has an exclusive license to purchase and use them, so there is no legitimate sales channel through which to purchase one.
Gray market options
It is, however, technically possible to get your hands on a Thermoplan Mastrena espresso machine, if youre willing to seek one out second-hand.
Youre more likely to find the older Thermoplan Mastrena CS2 model than the Mastrena 2, and its likely to have been through substantial use before it lands in your kitchen.
Fortunately, you can get a cheaper version for a few hundred dollars, if youre not hell-bent on only the Mastrena espresso machine by name.
Whats The Deal With Starbucks
So theyve landed an exclusive contract with Starbucks and their brand got known internationally fast. Thats not bad for a company that existed for about 25 years at the time.
Starbucks and Thermoplan benefited each other and kept growing. Starbucks decided to go with super-automatic coffee machines. Today they mostly use the Mastrena CS2 espresso machine. They were in circulation around 2008. The machine has a huge capacity when it comes to coffee beans, suited for a lot of coffees. Theres a state-of-the-art burr grinder that could grind your beans at a very fast rate. All other features are there as well: steam wand, frothing device, etc
The company keeps investing in their machines and comes with newer ones. They sell about 3 machines on their website: the Black& White3, the Black& White4, and the Black& White4 compact. Theres no sign of the Mastrena or other coffee makers. Thats because of the deal with Starbucks and other coffee houses. Its not suited for home usage.
You can see a video from the Mastrena CS2:
Heres a video of the mastrena 2:
Starbucks has always invested in technology and keeps doing that!
Can you imagine the future?
You May Like: Where To Buy Glass For Coffee Table
Mastrenna Black & White Model 2
This models is an upgraded version of Verismo 801, using the same components. However, due to concerns from Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz about the height of the previous model preventing baristas interacting with customers, they produced this model of machine smaller in size.
Thermoplan now produces a lower-volume espresso machine with similar design, this model named The Tiger combines both features of Versimo 801 and Thermoplan Tiger. Distributed by Bunn in the United States, we have a selection listed below!
Nuova Simonelli Aurelia 2
The Nuova Simonelli Aurelia 2 is an espresso machine crafted with beauty and convenience in mind.
With the ability to choose between semiautomatic and automatic options, the power is in your hands to shape your espresso into the best it can be.
Comfortable to use, the Aurelia 2 incorporates an ergonomic push-pull steam mechanism that prevents wrist strain and cool steam wands for pain-free cleaning. It can even be environmentally and budget-friendly, with power saving options that will lower your electricity bills.
- T3 Technology Available in the T3 model only, multiple copper boilers are designed to make it easy for baristas to keep an eye on water temperature in the boilers and make adjustments as needed.
- Raised Group Heads Brew right into cups of a wide variety of sizes.
- Soft Infusion System Guarantee even extraction with an infusion system that softly soaks the coffee grounds beforehand.
- Cool Touch Wands Keep your employees comfortable with a wand that wont hurt to touch during use or cleaning.
- Reverse Mirror Baristas can monitor their drinks through a reflective back plate.
- Power Saving Options Reduce your energy usage using the Aurelia 2s energy-saving capacity.
Read Also: Is Coffee Bad For The Heart
How Old Can A Machine Be Before Repairs Are Not Recommended
As a general rule, espresso machines or grinders are not worth repairing if they are over 10 years old, when parts, labor and shipping costs are taken into account. However, if you are handy and can replace parts yourself, some machines such as lever machines and prosumer machines with e61 groupheads can last 15, 20 or more years if they are properly maintained. It can become difficult to find parts though.