What If Its Too Sweet Or Not Sweet Enough For Me
You can adjust the amount of brown sugar according to your taste. I find one tablespoon to be the perfect amount of sweetness for me. But you can adjust that.
Have any additional questions I havent answered? Make sure to leave those in the comments below!
Ive tried to show the steps in the photos above for you, to make it a bit easier to make your Starbucks iced brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso at home.
Step 1: Add brown sugar to your shaker.
Step 2: Brew 4oz of espresso and pour it directly into your shaker with the brown sugar.
Step 3: Add oat milk to the shaker.
Step 4: Close the shaker and shake vigorously for a minute or so.
Step 5: Fill a cup with ice and pour the espresso over the ice.
Step 6: Sprinkle cinnamon on top and enjoy!
Ways To Customize A Shaken Espresso
Of course, like all-things Starbucks, the Iced Shaken Espresso is like a blank canvas just waiting to be customized with your favorite flavors and milks.
Whether you order this drink from a barista or make it at home, all you have to do to customize it is switch the syrup, milk or espresso roast.
Syrup: For instance, you can swap Classic for Vanilla, Caramel, Toffeenut or Hazelnut.
Milk: 2 percent is the standard milk for this shaken espresso, but non-fat is a good option if youre trying to cut calories on your Starbucks drink. Plant-based milks like oat, almond or soy are also possibilities.
Espresso Roast: Starbucks Signature Espresso Roast is whats used to make this drink. The other two varieties are made with blonde roast. Just note, blonde roast has more caffeine than dark.
Additionally, some Starbucks locations have decaf espresso. This means you can even get a decaf Iced Shaken Espresso. I love that theres a new, tasty way to enjoy .
Iced Brown Sugar Shaken Espresso
A delicious dupe of the Starbucks Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso recipe – this cold coffee with a sweet brown sugar syrup and tinge of cinnamon is not overly sweet but packs in a lot of flavor, caffeine, and comfort to boost your day.
I hate to say it… but I’m once again underwhelmed by yet another Starbucks drink. The Iced Brown Sugar Shaken Espresso is a new addition to the Starbucks line up as an expansion into the non-dairy drink space. It’s made with Starbucks Blonde Espresso which is shaken with brown sugar syrup, cinnamon, and ice and then topped with oat milk.
To be honest, Starbucks coffee tastes like burnt espresso to me. I probably haven’t had Starbucks since October 2018. BUT TIK TOK MADE ME THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH TRYING!!
This drink works because the brown sugar with the cinnamon are warm and comforting, reminding me of fall flavors. But it’s so good iced when shaken with the espresso!
Recommended Reading: How To Make Hot Coffee
How To Make Starbucks Brown Sugar Shaken Espresso With Oat Milk
I like to make the brown sugar simple syrup in large batches and keep it in the fridge so its handy. It saves me a ton of time and all I need to do is grab a glass, my espresso and oat milk, and quickly prepare my brown sugar espresso drink! It saves me quite a bit of money AND it tastes just as good as ordering this Starbucks drink from a barista!
The brown simple syrup takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and is made with 3 simple ingredients: Brown Sugar, Water, and Vanilla Extract. You simply add the ingredients to a small saucepan, stir, bring it to a simmer, then remove it from the heat and let it cool before using.
How To Make Starbucks Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
You May Like: How To Make Perfect Pour Over Coffee
How You Can Customize Your Iced Shaken Espresso: Expert Tips
- Simple syrup is simple homemade by mixing one cup of sugar with water by heating it on the stove. The sugar is heated until it completely dissolves. After it cools off, put the mixture into an airtight glass container and store it in the fridge. It will last for three to four weeks.
- Customize your drink! Instead of milk, you can try using oatmeal milk or soy milk. Make it with vanilla syrup instead of simple syrup.
- There are 3 and more espresso shots in Starbucks cup sizes. This is difficult to replicate since most machines can produce two shots at once. Try 2 shots at first, and if its weak, you can add a shot.
- Starbucks uses milk however, you are free to add more to suit your taste.
- As an alternative to milk, try to make cold foam like Starbucks and top your shaken espresso with it!
Iced Brown Sugar Shaken Espresso Recipe
Make your favorite coffee shop drink at home! This iced brown sugar espresso drink is just as delicious as one youd purchase from Starbucks, but made in the comforts of your own home.
Easily adjust the sweetness of this shaken espresso and use your favorite kind of milk for the ultimate morning or afternoon caffeine boost!
Don’t Miss: How To Make Good Instant Coffee
Caffeine In A Shaken Espresso
A grande cup size in Starbucks iced shaken espresso has 3 espresso shots. The caffeine content for the different shaken espressos is:
- Iced Shaken Espresso 225 mg
- Iced Toasted Vanilla Oatmilk Shaken Espresso 255mg
- Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso 255mg
- Iced Chocolate Almondmilk Shaken Espresso 255mg
The difference in the caffeine content is in the different types of coffee that Starbucks uses for the drinks. For Iced Shaken espresso, they use a regular espresso, while in the other iced shaken espressos, they use Blonde Espresso. The Blonde Espresso has more caffeine than the regular one.
Ingredients For Starbucks Brown Sugar Shaken Espresso
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this espresso drink. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Brown sugar We use brown sugar to make the brown sugar syrup that Starbucks uses. For maximum flavor opt for dark brown sugar.
- Cinnamon A dash of cinnamon goes a long way in this drink.
- Vanilla extract A gentle splash of vanilla is all you need to brighten the flavors of this shaken espresso drink. This ingredient can easily be committed.
- Espresso You can use whichever espresso brand you like. I usually go with the Starbucks brand just to get the recipe as close to the original but you do you boo. Keep reading to find out how to make espresso without an espresso machine.
- Oat milk Starbucks uses Oatly brand but I decided to go with the Trader Joes option because it only had two ingredients oats and water!
What Is In The Iced Brown Sugar Shaken Espresso
- Brown Simple Syrup: Made with brown sugar, water, and vanilla extract. You can easily double or triple the recipe to make more and leave it in the fridge so you can use it whenever you need it! If you want to make this refined sugar-free, you can try coconut sugar. I havent tried that yet but Im sure itd be delicious!
- Espresso: You can use 2-3 shots of espresso OR very strong coffee. Starbucks Blonde Espresso is typically used to make this drink. Cold brew coffee is also a great option if you do not have espresso available to you.
- Oat Milk: Unsweetened oat milk works best. Starbucks uses Oatly Brand Oat Milk, but you can use whichever oat milk you prefer. If you want to go the extra mile, you can even make your own oat milk from scratch using my 5-minute Homemade Oat Milk Recipe!
- Ice: Youll need to fill a mason jar or shaker with ice to mix the drink. Youll also need a bit more ice to pour the shaken drink over.
- Cocktail Shaker or Mason Jar: If you do not have a cocktail shaker at home, you can use a mason jar with a lid or wide-mouth bottle.
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
I don’t have espresso. What can I substitute it for?
In a pinch, you can make the brown sugar drink with cold brew coffee. It won’t taste exactly like the Starbucks version, but still very delicious!
I don’t have oatmilk. What can I substitute it for?
You’re welcome to use unsweetened, plain almond milk as a substitution.
This brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso isn’t sweet enough for me.
The Starbucks version isn’t overly sweet! However, you’re welcome to add more syrup to sweeten the drink to your liking.
You May Like: How Much Ground Coffee For Cold Brew
How Many Calories Are In This Shaken Espresso
Theres a total of 143 calories in this coffee drink. The number of calories is mostly made up of brown sugar syrup, but lets be honest, this is one of the key features of this coffee that makes it so delicious.
If you dont have oat milk at your disposal, you can use another milk alternative or use cows milk instead.
The flavor of the coffee will change, but the key features will stay the same. If you feel like switching out the milk and you want to know how many calories your drink will contain, you can check the table below:
|Milk or milk alternative:
The calories mentioned in the table above are made with the same amounts of milk mentioned in the recipe. Now you have a great idea how many calories this coffee will add to your day.
If youre going to use a milk alternative I havent listed, keep in mind that the brown sugar syrup is good for 120 calories. You can now calculate how many calories your coffee drink will contain with the milk alternative youre going to use.
What To Use Instead Of Espresso Shots If I Dont Have An Espresso Machine
Before we got an espresso machine I used to use 2-3 teaspoons of instant coffee mixed with 3 tablespoons of hot water instead of espresso in my lattes!
You could also go with regular brewed coffee instead of espresso. That would technically make a cafe au lait and not really a latte but desperate times, call for desperate measures.
Read Also: Where Can I Buy Caffeine Tablets
Is The Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso Sweet
This drink definitely has a medium level of sweetness. Its not as sweet as a drink like a mocha or caramel frappuccino. Its also more sweet than the Toasted Vanilla Shaken Espresso and the Chocolate Almondmilk Shaken Espresso drinks. If youre making it at home, you can customize it to your own preferences to make it the right level of sweetness for you.
How To Order An Iced Shaken Espresso
Starbucks offers a few types of iced shaken espressos. They are:
- Iced Shaken Espresso
- Iced Toasted Vanilla Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
- Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
- Iced Chocolate Almondmilk Shaken Espresso
If they stop offering iced shaken espressos, you can always ask for a chilled Americano with any flavor you prefer.
Read Also: What Is The Best Keurig Coffee Pot
Whats An Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Espresso
The iced brown sugar oat milk espresso is a Starbucks drink that combines shaken espresso, oat milk, and brown sugar syrup. Its essentially an iced latte, but the espresso is shaken for a frothy texture and it has slightly less milk. The Starbucks version of this drink says it uses brown sugar syrup to add a hint of warmth, but in our opinion its difficult to detect in the flavor. This homemade version brings all the flavor notes in strong! Heres what youll need:
- Brown sugar syrup: made in 5 minutes with brown sugar!
- Oat milk: best quality
Iced Shaken Espresso 3 Copycat Starbucks Mad About Food
- Review: 3.96
- Summary: 18.08.2021 Iced Shaken Espresso 2 tsp brown sugar 2oz oat milk 2 tsp chocolate syrup 2oz half and half milk 2 tsp honey 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Matching search results: Cold brew used to be my afternoon coffee drink of choice, but the caffeine content in cold brew is so high that I had to cut back. Then, I heard that Starbucks Iced Shaken Espresso drinks were getting even more popular than cold brew and I knew I
You May Like: Does Home Depot Sell Keurig Coffee Makers
How To Make Brown Sugar
By combining white sugar and molasses, you can only make brown sugar at home. However, you can use a blender or wooden spoon to spread the molasses across all the granules evenly. Always store the brown sugar in the air-tight container so that the essence or flavor is not lost completely. If you want to increase the darkness of the brown sugar, add two tablespoons of molasses to 1 cup of granulated sugar. If youre going to reduce the darkness, simply add one tablespoon of molasses to the existing brown sugar that is already there. By doing this, you can decrease or increase the flavor of your beverage.
Starbucks Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Shaken Espresso
October 24, 2021 by Stephanie Manley, Last Updated May 20, 2022
Starbucks Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Shaken Espresso is a delicious coffee drink to enjoy any day. Homemade cinnamon brown sugar syrup gives incredible flavor to this dairy-free espresso drink with oat milk. The taste of this vegan shaken espresso drink is so delicious you are going to want to enjoy one everyday.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Also Check: How To Wash Coffee Stains From Clothes
Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso Starbucks Copycat Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
After our recent trip to Canada, we discovered how *addictive* this brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso from Starbucks really is.
And because we dont have a Starbucks in Maastrict, we went on a bit of shaken espresso safari and devoured as many of these frosty iced coffees as humanely possible.
Unfortunately, all good things do come to an end and so did our Starbucks binge.
Luckily though, the recipe is not so difficult to make and even if you do live near a Starbucks youll save a lot of money making it yourself. These things are almost $5!
Oh, and you dont even have to make simple syrup for this either. Bonus!
Starbucks Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso Copycat Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
When it first got released, it seemed like everyone was talking about the Starbucks iced brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso. I rushed to Starbucks to try it and it seemed to be unavailable for months. It got to the point where I would check every morning, only to be disappointed day after day.
When I finally got to try it, I have to be 100% honest I wasnt super excited about it. It tastes a lot like sweetened milk. I got very little espresso taste. Although, Im used to my iced caramel macchiato, so I could very well be comparing the amount and type of espresso, and I shouldnt do that since they are very different drinks.
Over time, I learned to love the Starbucks iced brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso and have ordered it anytime that its been available .
According to the Starbucks website, the Starbucks iced brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso is described as Starbucks® Blonde espresso, brown sugar and cinnamon together, and then top it off with oatmilk and ice for a cool lift to power you through your day. So lets see if we were able to recreate it at home.
Before I share our Starbucks iced brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso copycat recipe, let me answer a few questions.
Starbucks Iced Shaken Espresso Recipe Copycat
Ingredients for Iced Shaken Espresso Recipe
For making an Iced Shaken Espresso at home, like in Starbucks, you will need only four ingredients. They are:
- 3 Espresso shots
- ¼ cup of Whole milk
- 2 tablespoons of Simple syrup or flavored powder
Most of those ingredients you already have at your home.
The best part here is that you can use whatever milk you have. You can make a unique flavored iced shaken coffee with any dairy-free milk alternative or whole milk. For example, this drink has an incredible taste if you use oatmilk or almondmilk instead of whole milk.
Do not be afraid to improvise.
You may use regular ice cubes or prepare an entire batch of coffee ice cubes.
Coffee ice cubes gradually release more coffee flavors into your drink when they begin to melt. In contrast, regular ice cubes only dilute your coffee by adding water, making it less powerful.
For the syrup, you can prepare one at home, or you can buy the Best Sugar-Free Syrup if you are on a keto diet.